The free relaxation scripts provided here allow you to learn to quickly and easily relax at home. You can use these written materials to record your own relaxation audio or learn to relax.
The scripts here are for personal use, or they may be used to facilitate relaxation sessions at no charge to clients. Please do not share any recordings of these scripts in any way, and do not copy and paste any parts of the scripts anywhere. You are welcome to share links to the scripts, so others can access them here on this site.
Scroll down to see descriptions of these categories, or click the headings below to jump to the section.
- Tips for Using Relaxation and Guided Imagery Scripts to Relax
- Try These Free Relaxation Scripts
Tips for Using Relaxation and Guided Imagery Scripts to Relax
1. Start with a short script, and with practice, work up to longer scripts. Make additions or deletions as you see fit, to customize the script for your preferences.
2. Record yourself reading the script slowly in a calm voice. Your own voice can be particularly effective for inducing the relaxation response, because people often respond best to suggestions they provide themselves. You might find you are able to relax listening to your own voice better than listening to someone else’s. Try it to find out!
3. Pause frequently. It is very common to read too quickly – what seems to be a very slow pace when reading, is not nearly as slow when listening! Take at least two or three breaths between each phrase. Pausing in the middle of a phrase can be effective, too.
4. Concentrate on saying each word clearly and slowly, but not so slow as to be distracting (a bit of practice will help you adjust your reading style to your own preferences).
5. Play back the spoken script with music, if you wish. Choose music without lyrics that you find relaxing.
6. Listen to the script at a low volume, adjusted so it is loud enough to hear without straining, but quiet enough to be calm and relaxing.
7. Listen to the relaxation audio often, and practice learning to relax. See the Relaxation page for more information on how to relax.
Stress will always be around. The trick is finding at least two or three stress-busters you genuinely enjoy! Try a total body relaxation technique by my friend, Sukala, at Meditation Escape.
Try These Free Relaxation Scripts
Click on the heading to see scripts in that category.
Visualization is the process by which you relax by picturing a relaxing scene, place, or image. Try out visualization scripts such as Beach Visualization Relaxation, Forest Visualization Relaxation, Calming Color Relaxation Visualization, Floating on a Cloud, Peaceful Meadow, and more.
Guided Imagery Scripts
The free guided imagery scripts provided here allow you to relax and make positive changes. Guided Imagery can be used to visualize positive actions, changes, or accomplishments.
Relaxation for Anxiety Relief
Relaxation specifically targeted at reducing anxiety in the moment by calming the mind and body. Includes relaxation scripts for dealing with panic attacks, relieving anxiety, and coping with anxiety, panic, and stress.
Guided Meditation Scripts
Relax by focusing the mind. Use these guided meditations to calm the mind and relax the body and/or to achieve health, healing, or the ability to quickly relax. These guided meditation scripts include Self-Esteem Relaxation, Healing Relaxation, Anchoring Relaxation, Relaxation for Pain Relief, Beginner’s Breathing Meditation, and more.
Physical Relaxation Techniques
A variety of physical relaxation exercises, whether by focusing on a specific muscle group, tensing and relaxing muscle groups, moving or stretching. Free relaxation scripts such as Passive Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Progressive Muscle Relaxation Exercise, Stretch and Relax, and a Relaxing Walk.
Creative Expression Relaxation
Relax using creative outlets – art, music, movement, or other forms of self-expression, such as Creative Expression Relaxation and Music Relaxation.
Strategies to relax quickly, any time and any place, including Yawn and Stretch, Deep Breathing, 30-Second Quick Relaxation, and other quick and easy relaxation techniques.
Relaxation exercises specifically aimed to help you quickly and easily fall asleep. These natural sleep aids include sleep relaxation and sleep countdown scripts that guide you to quiet the mind and relax the body, then drift off into deep sleep.
Relaxation techniques that involve imagining your limbs are warm and heavy, breathing is slow and regular, and other descriptors that induce the relaxation response. “Autogenic” means “self suggestion” as this type of relaxation involves relaxing suggestions.
Sensory relaxation involves the use of the senses (vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell) to bring about relaxation. This may involve imagining or experiencing different sensations. Relaxation exercises that involve sensory relaxation components include Calming Color Relaxation Visualization, Floating on a Cloud, Sensory Relaxation, and more.
Relaxation Scripts for Children
These relaxation scripts for children can be used to guide children or adults to relax using quick and easy relaxation techniques.
Create your own custom relaxation scripts. A wide variety of personalized relaxation scripts can be created using these parts. You can choose any induction, body, and conclusion from the list below, or adapt existing relaxation scripts by replacing parts of the script with different induction or conclusion portions to meet your needs.
Visit the site map to find a complete alphabetical listing of all the relaxation downloads and scripts.