This sleep countdown is a guided relaxation script that will help you fall asleep.
Focusing the mind allows you to decrease the thoughts that can interfere with falling asleep, and teach you how to allow thoughts to pass rather than dwelling on them and remaining alert.
You can use this sleep relaxation script to record your own audio or learn to relax and fall asleep.
Begin reading the sleep countdown relaxation script here:
Find a comfortable sleeping position. You can change positions if needed, but try not to move around very much.
Take a deep breath in, pause… and breathe out.
Wherever your body is tense, focus on relaxing the muscles.
Feel your shoulders relax and sink into the bed.
Allow your jaw to drop slightly.
Wiggle your toes once or twice and feel your feet and legs relaxing.
Gently open and close your hands once… and again… and then relax your hands and arms.
Take a deep breath in, feeling the tension in your chest and stomach as you hold that breath…
And allow your chest and stomach to relax as the breath escapes slowly.
Notice any areas of tension in your body, and relax those areas now.
Your body will continue to relax…
The sleep countdown will start in a moment. Each number you count can allow you to feel more and more relaxed, and drift toward sleep.
Count very slowly, breathe with each count, and concentrate your mind on the numbers. As thoughts come up, you can disregard them and turn your attention back to the numbers.
Starting with 50, breathe in and silently count “50.” Picture the number 50. Breathe out to the number 50.
Picture now the number 49. Breathe in. Noticing your eyelids. They might be feeling very heavy and comfortable. Exhale, counting 49.
48. See the number 48 in your mind’s eye. Focusing all your attention on 48.
47. You might be feeling more relaxed. Even sleepy. Concentrating on 47.
46. Pleasant and calm. Breathing slowly and deeply.
45. Your attention drifts slowly, randomly… you can focus back on the numbers
44. You might be feeling very sleepy now. Pleasantly drifting off into sleep…
43. Calm. Relaxed. Peaceful. Safe.
42. Focusing only on the numbers. Allowing other thoughts to slip away.
41. Deeply relaxed. Deeper and deeper. See the numbers in your mind, slowly counting down to sleep.
40. Continue the sleep countdown on your own now. Concentrating just on the numbers. Continue to count down now.
As your attention wanders, allow your mind to drift back to focus just on the numbers as you count down to sleep.
No direction except for down deeper with each number you count.
Gently focus back on the counting as each number brings you closer and closer to sleep.
Peaceful and relaxed.
Continue to count down, all the way down, down to zero… Down to sleep.